Monday, February 21, 2011

A question to consider...

I saw this article from motivational speaker Kelly Croy.  I thought it gave me pause as a parent to stop and think.
Here's the link http://kellycroy.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/leadership/

Here is some of the text from the article:


I hear parents say it a lot, but I cannot help but to question their sincerity. In my twenty years of teaching and coaching, and my travels as an inspirational speaker and artist, a common theme among parents is the importance of leadership in their child’s lives.  Or so they say.

Do you really want your child to be a leader?

My experience says no. I think most parents confuse leadership with being the star. They don’t want a leader. They want their child’s picture in the paper, the trophy on the mantle, or the name on the record board. They want to tell relatives that their daughter is the captain of the team, that their son is the president of the club, and add another title to the college entrance application. They want their child to be well liked and admired. That is what I believe most parents want.
The truth is that while leadership can often be a truly rewarding experience, it is often a lot of hard work.  Leaders have responsibilities whether their team wins or loses. They are often ridiculed, criticized, and they work well beyond ‘their fair share’ with little to show for it. Leadership is not a popularity contest and it isn’t about being the star.

Do you really want your child to be a leader?

If you are still answering yes then I must ask you what you are doing to encourage that leadership? Do you criticize public leaders in front of your children? Complain about the decisions a leader has made? Do you volunteer in leadership roles? Do you offer your child opportunities to make decisions and take leadership roles? When they do, do you support them?
If you want your child to lead you really do have to take action. It’s not going to happen on its own, and you can’t leave it up to someone else. So many parents assume their child’s school, teacher, coach, or advisor is helping their child become a leader. And while that may be true in part, it is the parent’s role as the leader of the home, to see to it, that they are passing the torch of leadership to their children.
The ingredients we mix into a bowl determines the dish we prepare. Yes or no? You don’t get cookies using spinach.  What ingredients are going in your child, and will they make a leader? What books do they read? What games do they play? What do they listen to? What movies do they watch? Who do they admire? With whom do they spend their time? These are important questions.
I want my children to be leaders because I want them to make a difference in the world. I want them to understand that their lives have purpose, and that they are here to help others accomplish great things. I understand they will be ridiculed, criticized, and beaten down.  I know the decisions they make as leaders may cause them to lose friends. And I know when the time comes they may choose not to lead, but they will be prepared if they decide to answer the call to lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment